Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
M3
Arnhem
1358

Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys

Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys

The Presickhaeffs Huys is one of the few medieval houses that remain preserved in Arnhem, and is in fact two houses in one. The beautiful gate on the Kerkstraat is actually the old rear entranc.

Step-gables
The oldest part of the house dates from 1358. Shortly thereafter, a new wing was built, with the lovely stepped gable facing in the direction of the Eusebius church. This wing, dating from 1368, is still more or less intact. Shortly after 1555 the house was extended at the rear, on the Kerkstraat. A beautiful stepped gable was added here too. Until the 16th century, the entrance was on the Koningstraat.

Residents
The big Presickhaeffs Huys was located in the vicinity of the Eusebius church, the town hall and the Hof van Gelre. It is obvious why this district was always favoured by rich, important people. The residents here were merchants, aldermen, mayors, chancellors and presidents of the Hof van Gelre.

Mayor
The first occupant to be named is Gelis Ingen Nulandt, three times mayor of Arnhem (some time between 1420 and 1460). Nulandt’s heirs sold it in 1515 to Bernt van Presickave, who also became mayor of Arnhem. His name is still linked with the house.

Restaurant
In 1795 the building came to be used as a teahouse. It remained a catering establishment until 1944, and old Arnhem citizens still remember it as the Odeon café. After the war, the house was restored and years of argument concerning its use followed. A clothes shop has been established in it since 2006.

Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
Arnhem – Presickhaeffs Huys
m03-nl_lo
2:02